- Abandoned: those not part of the compact. There are many Abandoned tribes who aren’t wild and warlike, who are settled and "civilized"
- Abyss: Hell
- As serious as an Oathlander about praying.
- As careful as a Lycene with a drink she didn't pour herself.
- As serious as a Lycene about their poison taster selection.
- As cheerful as a Redrain wrestling a bear.
- Elysia: Heaven
- Ember twig: a small twig topped with an alchemical compound for a quick strike flame. Expensive and handmade
- Flec: derived from reflection, it is a curse meaning oath-breaker, two-faced, or liar
- Goodman/Goodwoman: Oathlands polite address for commoners
- Leviathan: the Thrax Fleet (also a sea monster)
- Limerance's Libertia: Birth control in Arvum. Plant. 100% effective. Can be brewed, chewed, taken as a powder, etc. (bbread theme/33)
- Lycene Plait: French braid
- Mercy: Mercies of Lagoma. The great healers of Arvum. A religious order dedicated to the healing arts. They worship Lagoma.
- Messere: Lycene gender-neutral polite address for commoners.
- Mother of Mercy: The chapter head of a chapter for the Mercies of Lagoma (think red cross/healing nuns)
- Nervous as an Oathlands pig: jumpy, scared; colloquial expression, ala 'long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs'.
- Presented to the Sea: House Thrax's favored method of execution.
- Prodigal: Abandoned who have rejoined the Compact and bent the knee
- Queen of Endings and (Mother of) Beginnings: AKA Death. The goddess of death, souls, and reincarnation. A goddess that was forgotten but has been found.
- Shards: damn (from many shards of a broken reflection)
- Shav: colloquial term for the Shav'Arvani, Abandoned/wild tribes who are not part of the compact and are generally hostile to it.
- Shining Lands: Afterlife
- Silk: a non-flattering commoner term used to refer to a noble
- The Thirteenth: Tehom, god of the dark reflection. Saying "Tehom" is considered very bad luck.
- Whisper: Courtiers that are accepted as respected companionship for even the greatest of nobles.